About Iran Visa
We know you are interested to travel to Iran. The first step is making your travel legal and it is via getting a visa for Iran. Foreign nationals of most countries must have an approval number from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for entering Iran legally. For getting this number you have to request for Iranian visa. There are two exceptions; the first exception is residents of Turkey, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Syria, Malaysia, Taiwan, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Bolivia, and Ecuador. The second exception is Iranian Industrial Free zones such as Kish and Qeshm Islands, and some other part of the country usually near boarders where you can stay for 14 days without any visa. All the countries residents except Israel can visit Iran and get the Iranian visa. Applying for Iran visa needs a 'sponsor'. Approved travel agencies or Iran embassies are good options for this sponsorship; although the former can do this process faster and simpler and the later often takes longer; furthermore if you know someone in Iran they can be your sponsor too.
Types of visa
This is more common to have your visa in your hand before boarding. So, you should apply your visa before your travel. You need to fill the application form and receive the confirmation before your travel. After you receive your authorization number you can apply in person or by mail at the nominated embassy or consulate. The actual processing time is from 5 up to 45 working days depend on your nationality. The usual processing time is as follow:
- 30 to 45 working days (Thursday & Fridays are weekend in Iran) for American
- 10 to 15 working days for British and Canadian
- 5 to 7 working days for other nationals
The visa is valid for 90 days from the date of issuance in your passport and the visa holder can stay maximally 30 days during these 90 days; although it is extendable in some exceptional cases but can't be guaranteed at all. So, don’t pick it up too early before you plan to start your travel to Iran. There are two ways that you can apply for Iranian Visa. First way is applying through Iran embassies or consulates. Go directly through an Iran embassy or consulate and apply for your visa. In this way of applying visa you can save agency fee, however, many embassies don't accept an application form without an invitation letter and refer you to a travel agency.
Second way is applying through travel agencies and in this way the applicant sends the above stated documents to his/her selected travel agency. The process starts by submitting them to Ministry of Foreign Affair (MFA) in Tehran. Once the request is approved, MFA issues and sends a 6-digit authorization number to both your nominated Iranian embassy or consulate and the travel agency. They will forward it to you, too and three working days later, you can go through the embassy process and get your visa. But remember since each embassy has its own policy, some of them issue your visa immediately whereas some have a longer process; therefore, our recommendation is that the applicant calls the embassy after three days and asks for required documents and start the process.
Getting authorization number is the most important step. The visa authorization number is valid only in the consulate you have selected in your application form and couldn’t be changed. So, please select your preferred Iran embassy carefully. This issued number is just an "authorization" and means that your visa has been authorized and approved by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs but it is not the visa itself.
Having the reference number, you will refer to the consulate with your passport (which must be valid for the next 6 months), the completed visa application form (which can be picked from the consulate or be downloaded from their website), 2 new passport size photos (with covered hair for ladies, at some consulates), the visa fee (which depends on your nationality) and the authorization reference number, (Always check the needed documents with the consulate, as there may be differences from one consulate to another.) You may also be able to send the documents and receive the visa by mail. Contact the consulate for more details. The procedure of submitting the documents and collecting the visa can be normally done in the same day.
Just needs to pass 4 following steps:
- Fill up the visa form that we send you below, send the filled form plus the clear scan of the first page of your passport.
- After you are informed that your visa is ready, deposit the money via our account then, send its draft to us by email.
- Then you can obtain the main visa from the Iran embassy in your country or where you mention.
1. Americans, British and Canadians passport holders can only collect a visa if they have reserved a tour either as part of a tour group, or a tailor made individual tour. An exact itinerary, to which you must adhere, is compulsory.
2. The MFA requires those who want to travel by car or bicycle to have a guide from arrival to departure, essentially this means you need a guide with you on a daily base.
3. People who want to make a request for a visa through a friend or relative in Iran.
– Two completed visa application forms. Improperly completed Iran visa application forms may delay the processing of your Iran visa.
– Original, signed passport valid for 6 months beyond stay, with at least one blank visa page available for visa stamp(s). Amendment pages in the back of the passport are not suitable for visa stamps.
– 3 newly taken photos (size 3x4cm) in color, front view and with a plain/white background. For female applicants, hair must be covered in the photo.
– Visa fees
– Return envelope with address and adequate prepaid postage to cover the cost of registered mail.
B. Visa Upon Arrival
There are different types of visa and different way to get your visa. Some nationals can get a 15 days tourist visa upon their arrival (VUA) to Iran. If you have a passport you should know whether you can take VUA according your nationality or not. VUA is extendable for more 15 days. Residents from USA, Canada, UK, Colombia, Somalia, Iraq, Jordan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Bangladesh can’t get VUA. Also passport holders who are politicians or service, journalists and media reporters and also the ones who rejected once from IRI Ministry of Affairs can’t get this kind of visa.
Just check the following list of countries which their residents can get VUA.
Albania, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, China, Colombia, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus Denmark, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Democratic People Republic of Korea, Republic of Korea, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan Lebanon, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Mongolia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam.
Iranian airports which offered visa upon arrival:
- Tehran Imam Khomeini Airport
- Mashhad Airport
- Shiraz Airport
- Tabriz Airport
- Isfahan Airport
- Kish Island Airport
Visa upon arrival is issued with the following conditions and requirements:
Tourist or Pilgrimage Visa applicants have no permission to work or study during their stay in Iran.
- The applicants are required to have a confirmed return ticket and a valid passport with at least 6 months validity.
- The applicants are required to submit the following proofs at the airport:
- Address and contact number of the place in which they want to stay in Iran
- Invitation Letter
- Hotel booking confirmation for duration of their stay in Iran
Visa upon arrival procedure
In this method we will prepare an authorization letter for you to give to the airline counter at check in. Once you arrive at the airport in Iran proceed to the Visa Office to have your visa issued. Note that these airport offices sometimes take 20-45 minutes to process your visa and if there is a large group waiting then sometimes longer. Proof of medical travel insurance is now compulsory and is available for sale from the immigration office at the airport.
It has two different payment processes:
- Invitation fee: visa process through travel agencies costs an amount that varies based on the nationality of clients and policy of each agency as it includes invitation fee and MFA payment.
- Embassy paperwork: the embassy paperwork, costs another amount that the clients must pay directly to the embassy.
Different kinds of visa in Iran
This visa is a permission issued for foreign experts and businessmen who travel to Iran for a limited period of time (once-twice or multiple) for economic, commercial, cultural and industrial purposes.
Interview, if necessary.
This visa is issued for foreign nationals who are interested to travel to Iran individually or with a group for the purpose of visiting Iran or their relatives.
This visa is issued for a limited period of time for foreigners who intend to pass through Iran to a third country.
- Valid visa for third country
- Confirmed air ticket for individuals who travel by air
This visa is issued for foreign Muslim pilgrims for the purpose of visiting the sacred places in Iran.
This visa is issued for 15 Days to the applicants who intend to transit through Iran.
- 6. Entry or transit visa for drivers carrying cargo
This visa will be issued for foreign drivers carrying cargo to Iran or other countries. For these cases, it is necessary to coordinate in advance with the Diplomatic Missions of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Possession of visa for the third country for drivers who carry cargo to destinations in other countries.
This visa is issued for foreign nationals who intend to work in Iran. The Iranian host must obtain the work permit in advance from the concerned authorities.
- 8. Visa for entry to free trade and Industrial Areas of Iran
This visa is issued for two-week stay at the ports of entry to Free Trade and industrial Areas of Iran (Kish Island, Qeshm Island and Chabahar Port), and may be extended up to six months at the request of authorities of these areas.
Foreign nationals who intend to travel to other parts of the country, should submit their application to representative office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the area and the application will be reviewed and visa will be issued if approved, within 48 hour.
9. Student Visa
Student visa is issued for foreign nationals who intend to study in the Islamic republic of Iran.
– Acceptance from accredited educational center.
*- Interview, if necessary
10. Press visa
This visa is issued for journalists and representatives of foreign media and press who intend to travel to Iran for purposes relating to their profession for a specific period.
* – Interview, if necessary
11. Diplomatic and service Visa
This visa is issued for holders of diplomatic and service passports who intend to travel to Iran.
- An official verbal note by the ministry of foreign Affairs
Application for extension of visas, including entry, tourist and pilgrimage visas, are issued by Police Department of Aliens Affairs on the basis of justifiable reasons and approval of the mentioned Bureau.
Diplomatic and service visa will be extended by the Ministry of Foreign affairs upon the request of the concerned foreign Diplomatic mission in Tehran.
Work permit visa will be extended by Police Aliens Affairs Dep. with Coordination of the Department of Aliens Employment at the ministry of labor and Social Affairs and on the basis of request by the Iranian sponsor of the applicant.
Work permit visa will be extended by Aliens Affairs Bureau, law enforcement office with Coordination by the Department of Aliens Employment Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs. And on the basis of request by the Iranian sponsor of the applicant.
Visa extensions are available at the Police Offices of Foreign Aliens in major Iranian cities for up to 2 months.
Visa application form and visa fees will be sent after Mr. Tahmouresi’s confirmation.